Pages

Wednesday 30 March 2011

Return of the Mac..


I do love to take things apart to see how they work, of course this is difficult now days with circuit boards, chips and processors. However, this doesn't put me off, I have managed a few repairs now, using the Internet as a guide I might add.


My finest achievement (so far) has to be repairing a Macbook Pro 15" 2006.
It had the graphics problem where the ATI graphics chip loses contact to the logic board. The problem this creates is lots of square blocks covering the screen after boot-up. Mine would only boot in safe mode but the squares/blocks made using the Mac impossible.

Oh No!

Dismantling the case is quite easy, though the front edge was a bit tricky. this is clipped in place and my clips were very stubborn, I did not want to damage or bend the ally case for obvious reasons, so I used a small screwdriver to pop each one apart. No damage!


With the top section and keyboard removed, you see the daunting task ahead, but it's not too bad once you get stuck in. I took a few pictures before I started. Taking pictures is very helpful if you can't quite remember what goes where, I did refer to them a couple of times.

Basically the whole logic board has to be removed. All wires, drives, fans and more screws, these are very tiny screws too. I did try and keep them all organised and I did mostly succeed.

Logic board, ATI chip 3rd right.
With the logic board removed you need to locate the ATI graphics chip. Cleaning the heatsink compound off of all three chips will reveal the 'ATI' logo printed on one of them.



Next was a heat shield, a few layers of kitchen foil is perfect. Wrapping it around the whole board (3/4 layers) until it's completely covered. Then press the area to locate the ATI chip and cut out round the edge to reveal it.

TaDa!
Now the scary part, I needed to heat the chip so hot it would melt the solder underneath which connects it to the board. This heating process is done using a heat gun, mine had a variable temperature control and temperature gauge, very useful. I started at a low temperature and warmed the whole board, this help stops any distortion. Warming the chip in gradual and slow steps all the way up to 450 Celsius! This took me about 15 minutes in total.


IMPORTANT! The board, chip or anything else close by must not be moved for around 10 minutes or more, it needs to cool down. If the chip is touched in any way, with the solder melted, the Mac is scrap!

I used new heatsink compound on all three chips, then refitted in reverse order.

The Macbook booted perfectly and is still working, OK, only been six weeks ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment