Pages

Saturday 9 April 2011

The real plug 'n' play.




Like many people, I have a wireless network in my house. It's used for desktop PC's, laptops, mobile phones, PS3, Xbox and the Wii. It works great and I would not like to ever be without it. However, it does have a few limitations, speed and stability being the main problem areas.

I suppose I've been demanding more and more from my 'wi-fi', such as - online gaming and HD video streaming. Though wireless is OK ish for gaming, it's not great and you've got know hope of decent video streaming. 

My solution was 'HomePlug'! What brilliant technology!

I bought these Solwise Piggy MK2.

HomePlugs use your existing house electrics to shoot network computer data to every plug power point in your house! For example; I needed to make a wired connection to my PS3 in my lounge, to my computer upstairs. Normally this would be done by drilling some big hole in your walls and running lots of Ethernet cabling from one machine to another. But what I did was plug one HomePlug in to a power point next to my computer and another next to my PS3. Then using an ethernet lead i connected the HomePlug to my machines, this then creates a physical link between the two.

This is not my network, there are lots of different setups.


The results are amazing, the tech actually works. My wireless had a max of 54 mbps (you never get this) but my Homeplugs are 200 mbps (you ain't getting that either). I am getting about 130 mbps now and my videos are streaming faultlessly!

The technology standard has sorted itself out a bit so HomePlug IS the standard to the Powerline technology. You can add to your network anytime, just buy any brand of HomePlug and it should work!

They are getting faster, as always. The current speeds available are : 85 mbps (sometimes called 'turbo'), 200 mbps (sometimes called 'AV') and Gigabyte.





Useful links:      Solwise
      
                        Some FAQs

                        Wiki



No comments:

Post a Comment